Thursday, December 16, 2010

My Egyptian Sidekick


Many times in my life I’ve found myself in situations I swear was straight out of Indiana Jones. Sometimes this is of my own doing and other times, God just drops it in my lap. Such was the time I got to ride a camel around the Pyramids of Giza in Egypt with my best friend, a beautiful Egyptian girl, and most importantly, a sidekick named Short Round.

I was on a mission trip in Cairo working with different orphanages and centers for disabled children. (Note: I am a good person). 


At the end of our time there, we went to visit the pyramids. Well, an Egyptian kid of about 12, who was a friend of the pastor’s, wanted to go to the pyramids. I have no idea where this kid came from. So we brought him along and for some reason, out of the team of 15, this tenacious kid decided to cling to me and by my sidekick for the day. Seriously, he would not leave my side for the entire day. He even wore a baseball cap. 


Rather than get irritated by his relentless questions, I decided to go with it. He was my sidekick. I called him Short Round cause, well,…he was short and round (Note: I am a terrible person).

Sure enough, we rode camels, had lunch, and climbed the pyramids. We became fast friends and by no doing of my own, I had my very own sidekick. 



When Clay got him to yell to me “Dr. Jones! Dr. Jones!” I fell to the floor crying with laughter, as did the rest of the team.

I miss Egypt. 


No comments:

Post a Comment